Apttus CPQ now provides the ability to synchronize the changes in Assets with the changes in a Contract. The changes you make inside a Contract (such as a change in Contract End Date) will be reflected in the Assets contained in that Contract. Similarly, when you perform actions on your purchased Assets (such as changing the Quantity of an Asset), these changes will be reflected in the Contract.
For Contracts, the actions include: Renew and Cancel. For Assets, the actions include: Change, Swap, Terminate, and Renew.
Consider an example of a learning and publications company, selling products such as Java Learning, Python Learning, and CSS Learning.
Following are the use cases when the synchronization between a contract and assets is important:
- When you change the duration, price, billing parameters, or any such attributes of an asset, the corresponding changes must be reflected in the Contract.
- When you cancel multiple assets, the Asset or Order Line Items for these assets must be removed from the contract. Similarly, when you add a new asset, the contract must contain the details for the new asset. This could be the result of swapping an existing asset with another product. Example, purchasing CSS Learning product if Python Learning is discontinued by the company.
- When you renew the terms and end date of an asset, the renewal dates of a contract must be synchronized.
- When you terminate an existing asset and require the refunded amount back before the expiration date of the contract, the contract must reflect the new termination date.
- When you cancel or terminate a contract before the expiration date, the corresponding assets must also be cancelled.
- When you renew a contract, all its corresponding assets must also be renewed.
There are basically 3 process flows you must consider:
- A contract contains Agreement Line Items, Asset Line Items or Order Line Items. These Line Items are created when a contract is finalized. In this case, only Contract and no Quote/Proposal is involved.
- A contract contains Agreement Line Items, Asset Line Items or Order Line Items. These Line Items are created from the Proposal Line Items when a Quote is accepted. In this case, both, Contract and Quote/Proposal are involved.
- Normal CSR Flow: A Quote/Proposal document contains Asset Line Items or Order Line Items and these are created when a Quote/Proposal is accepted.
With the normal CSR flow supported in the previous release, the new release involves an integration of Assets with Contracts (number 1 and 2).