When Renewal Execution Mode is set to OnDemand, CPQ automatically renews all assets on the account (possibly from different quotes) based on the defined Renewal Lead Time after you click a custom button on the account. You may want to renew an existing opportunity in OnDemand renewal mode:
- During one-time legacy asset data migrations
- During one time renewal quote creation for existing active asset base
- When minimal changes are required on the renewal quotes because of any ABO changes
The following diagram describes the flow of OnDemand renewals. In this diagram, Renewal Lead Time is 120 days.
Over a period of time, you sell some products/services through different quotes, which might have varying end dates. After the original quotes are converted into orders and the order are activated, assets are generated. All assets are visible on the account. When you want to renew the assets that will expire in 120 days from today, you click the custom button on the account. CPQ compares the asset line items' end dates with the Renewal Lead Time defined and triggers the creation of renewal quotes for all those assets (from different quotes) that will expire in 120 days.
- The Renewal Business Object Type is set to Proposal.
- The Renewal Execution Mode is set to OnDemand.
- The custom button is created on the account.
- The Renewal Lead Time is defined.
- The Renewal Group Fields are defined.
- The AssetRenewalJobScheduler batch job is scheduled.
How OnDemand Renewal Mode Works
- From an account, create an opportunity.
- Create quotes from the opportunity and configure products.
- Add products to the cart and finalize it.
- After your customer accepts the quotes, orders are generated.
- After you activate the orders, assets are generated. The assets are active and visible on the account.
- Click the custom button on the account when you want to trigger the creation of renewal quotes.
CPQ creates renewal quotes based on the defined Renewal Lead Time, considering the expiry date of assets (from different quotes).
By default, CPQ groups asset line items by Account and the Price List. However, if other parameters are configured in Renewal Group Fields, CPQ groups asset line items accordingly. If some assets had Auto Renew flag set to True or False, there will be two renewed quotes: one for the asset lines with Auto Renew = True and the other for asset lines with Auto Renew = False.
Renewal quote that has assets with Auto Renew = True: On the expiry date of the asset, CPQ automatically processes the renewal quote and renews the asset for the next term. The quote will be automatically set to Accepted without any intervention (this is called Touchless Renewal).
Renewal quote that has assets with Auto Renew = False: You need to manually process the quote.
After CPQ triggers renewal quote creation, on the Account page, the renewed asset groups are listed under Temp Renew Asset Groups in the New status. After the AssetRenewalJobScheduler job is executed, the status of asset groups changes to Completed and the renewal quote is created. The name of the renewal quote will be Renew:<name_of_price_list>-<quote_end_date>.
When you configure products in this renewal quote, CPQ takes you to the Cart page directly where assets with renewed Start Dare, End Date, and Selling Term are available. The Line Status of assets is Renewed and asset pricing calculated according to the renewed Start Dare, End Date, and Selling Term.
On the new renewal quote, the Start Date = Parent Quote's End Date + 1 and End Date = New Start Date + Selling Term.
The Approval Stage of the quote is marked back to Draft allowing you to perform any changes to the renewal configuration. Any change or update to the assets are reflected in the opportunity based renewal quote.
- Add products to the cart if required and finalize it.
- After your customer accepts the quote, an order is generated.