Of the two options available to apply promotions, you can apply the promo code on the cart page (PULL) or CPQ applies the promotion once your criteria are met (PUSH).
- PULL promotion: You can manually view the available promo codes and apply one or more promo codes to your line item (product level) and to the entire cart.
- PUSH promotion: This type of promotion is applied to your line items (products) or to your entire cart when the entry criteria for the promotion are met for the selected products and the entire cart. CPQ automatically updates your pricing for respective products or cart, depending on the promotion applied.
To manually apply a promo code to the shopping cart
You must have a cart that contains products to which you can apply promo codes. CPQ enables you to apply or remove promotions or coupons on line items individually or on multiple line items together (mass application). If there are line items with $0 price but eligible for promotions, CPQ populates incentive codes for those line items. Promotions and coupon applications must be mutually exclusive.
After coupons are generated from a promotion, the Apply Promotions dialog box does not list the promotion. This forces the user to enter the coupon code to apply coupons instead. Only coupons that have not reached the usage limits are displayed. When the user enters a coupon, it is stored on the Product Configuration object under the Coupon Code field.
The Apply Promotions and Remove Promotions buttons are visible only when you select line items.
Applying Promotions or Coupons
- Navigate to the cart.
Select the required line items and click Apply Promotions. The Apply Promotions/Coupons window is displayed.
If you select one line item on the cart, CPQ displays the promotions eligible for that line item only.
If you select multiple line items, CPQ displays promotions based on the union of promotions that are eligible for those selected line items. When you select multiple line items and apply promotions, CPQ applies promotions only to the line items that are eligible for promotions.
You can verify the applied promotions by checking the incentive code on the line items. You can see only the eligible promotions' incentive code on those line items.
- Select a single line item to apply one or more promotions or coupons to it.
- Select multiple line items to apply promotions or coupons together (mass application).
- Select all items to apply promotions or coupons to at the cart level.
- On the Promotions tab:
- Select the required promotions. You can also search for promotions.
- To remove any existing promotion, deselect the checkbox next to the promotion. This is possible when only one promotion is applied on the line item.
When you are applying a promotion to multiple lines:
- if the same promotion is already applied to a line, CPQ skips that line and applies the promotion to the remaining items.
- if a different promotion is already applied to a line, CPQ applies the new promotion to all items.
- if you deselect the same or different promotion already applied to a line on the Promotions tab, CPQ does not remove the promotion applied to the line.
In a Buy X Get Y scenario, if there are multiple line items of a benefit product (Y) with different attributes or configurations in the cart, you can apply the promotions as follows:
- If the administrator has enabled the APTS_EnableMultiBenefitItems setting, CPQ applies the promotion to all line items of the benefit product (Y).
- If the administrator has disabled the APTS_EnableMultiBenefitItems setting, CPQ applies the promotion only to the first line item of the benefit product (Y).
In a promotion of type For Every X Get X where X, if the administrator has defined multiple products in the criteria of the promotion, CPQ applies promotion on any of those products you add to the Cart. The X here can be multiple products or any product from a group. For example, Mobile Phones is a group of products consisting ABC 13, ABC 13 Pro, and ABC 13 Max phones. Your administrator has created a For Every X Get X promotion for Mobile Phones as "for every 5 mobile phones get 20% discount on the 6th mobile phone". When you add any product from Mobile Phones (that are defined in the criteria of the promotion) to the Cart; CPQ applies the defined For Every X Get X promotions to those products. For example, if you add 6 ABC 13 and 6 ABC 13 Max phones to the Cart, CPQ provides 20% on the 6th 6 ABC 13 and 6th ABC 13 Max phones. However, you must fulfil the quantity criteria for each product to get the benefit for that product. For example, the you must add 5 ABC 13 mobile phones to get 20% discount on the 6th ABC 13. You will not get any benefit if you add 4 ABC 13 and 2 ABC Pro phones to the Cart.
In a For Every X Get X or For Every X Get Y scenario, when a line item gets the benefit, CPQ displays the quantity of the product that received the promotion benefit, on the Benefit Quantity column on the Multiple Adjustments pop-up. When a line item gets the benefit in these scenarios, the entire quantity of that line item may not always receive the benefit and hence the Benefit Quantity column displays the quantity that received the benefit. For example:
- You add 6 laptops to the Cart and apply a For Every X Get X promotion that is defined as "for every 2 laptops you buy get 10% discount on the third laptop". The Benefit Quantity column on the Multiple Adjustments pop-up displays 2.
- You add 5 laptops to the Cart and apply a For Every X Get X promotion that is defined as "for every 5 laptops you buy get 10% discount on each laptop". The Benefit Quantity column on the Multiple Adjustments pop-up displays 5.
When you are applying multiple promotions to a line item, refer to the field Combine With Other Promotions. This field indicates whether or not you can combine the promotion with other promotions.
- On the Coupons tab:
- Select the required coupons. You can also search coupons.
- To remove any existing coupon, deselect the checkbox next to the coupon. This is possible when only one coupon is applied on the line item.
- Click Apply.
You can click Apply Promotions on Totals to apply promotions to the total amount on the cart.
Removing Promotions or Coupons
- Navigate to the cart.
- Select the required line items and click Remove Promotions. The Remove Promotions/Coupons window is displayed.
- Select a single line item to remove one or all promotions or coupons applied on it.
- Select multiple line items to remove promotions or coupons together (mass removal). When you select multiple line items, only those promotions or coupons that are common can be removed.
- Select all items to remove promotions or coupons at the cart level. When you all line items, only those promotions or coupons that are applied at the cart level can be removed.
- On the Promotions tab, select the required promotions. You can also search promotions.
- On the Coupons tab, select the required coupons. You can also search promotions.
- Click Remove.
The pricing on the cart is updated automatically to include the benefits of the promotions you apply. The Incentive Adjustment Amount denotes the adjustment amount that is applied using the promo code.
After applying promotions on your cart, you can now proceed to add more products or save and finalize the cart.