An In-Flight Order is defined as any order that has been confirmed by the customer but has not yet reached fulfillment. In-Flight order changes can only be made to orders that are not automatically activated on the confirmation. The two most common scenarios for In-Flight order changes are as follows:
- Amending an order: Amend an order when you need to add, cancel, or change order line items, change order quantities, pricings, and discounts, or modify order start/end date and/or change subscription dates. The previous version of the order is "Superseded" when the new order created by the amendment is accepted.
- Cancelling an order: Cancelling an order cancels the In-Flight order and its line items. After accepting cancellation of the order, the previous version of the order is "Superseded" and the new version is created with the "Cancelled" status.
You can use the Undo Amend Order and Undo Cancel Order actions at any time before either is accepted to revert all changes.
- In-Flight order changes and cancellation require you to enable certain Order System Properties. Refer to the Order Management for Administrators for steps.
- When In-Flight Order Change is enabled, an asset is only created on activation of its corresponding order line item.
Tracking Order Versions
Conga maintains a version history when you work with new or existing orders. The following fields on the order header are populated when you amend or cancel an order:
- Previous Version: The previous version of the respective order before the order was amended or cancelled
- Next Version: The next version of the original order that has been amended or cancelled or is in the process of being amended or cancelled
- Original Order Number: The order number of the original order that was placed (before any amendments).
- Version Number: The version number that is associated with the respective order. The number increments by 1 each time the order is amended.
Automating In-Flight Order Changes
You can automate In-Flight order changes by creating Order Workflow Rulesets. Order Workflow Rulesets comprise specific Order Workflow Rules that execute in-flight order changes when certain criteria are met. The following are the main triggering events that execute these rules:
- A quote is accepted and converted to an order.
- An agreement is activated and converted to an order.
- A direct order or order amendment is accepted.
- The “Ready for Workflow” field is set to true on the order header for orders in “Pending”, “In Fulfillment,” or “Partially Fulfilled” status. (If the field is not present, add it to the Order page layout.)
- The execOrderWorkflow API is called directly to manually trigger one or more workflow rules.
For more information on APIs, refer to the Conga Order Management for SOAP API Developers.