The process for deploying Conga Grid℠ into a production organization ("org") is similar to deploying other Salesforce® custom solutions. These steps may differ based on your own internal processes and deployment strategies. You can modify the steps to meet your specific needs. Please contact Conga Grid Support if you have any questions.
Below is a typical deployment lifecycle:
- Create a sandbox or use an existing sandbox environment.
Refer to the Create or Refresh a Sandbox topic in the Salesforce documentation. Creating a sandbox based on a production org after Conga Grid has been installed in the production org will replicate the Conga Grid settings and configuration.
- Install Conga Grid in the sandbox.
See the Conga Grid installation instructions. Click Install in sandbox when prompted for an installation option.
- Click Install in the sandbox when prompted for an installation option.
- Assign permission sets to users separately. This will restrict most users (non-administrators) from accessing Conga Grid Setup.
- Configure Conga Grid.
During this process, please contact the Conga Grid team as needed to resolve any questions.
Typical configurations Conga Grid include:
- Creating Views
- Creating multi-tabular Conga Grids for both page layouts and Visualforce® pages
- Restricting security of Conga Grid features to users or profiles
- Restricting security of Conga Grid fields or objects to users or profiles
- Creating Conditional Formatting rules, Formula Fields, Custom Actions, and other advanced configurations
- Determine security settings for users
The views and features that you set up will depend on your organization's needs. Conga Grid is flexible in letting you choose which features to expose to your end-users. The default setting is to expose all features, but with a few clicks, you can easily turn off (hide) features globally, per profile, or per individual user. Here are some simple guidelines:
- Test the configuration in the sandbox.
Consider the following scenarios when testing the configuration:
- Access to the Conga Grid app in general
- Access to Visualforce pages
- Logging in as users of different profiles
- Verifying settings and functionality as both administrative and non-administrative users install Conga Grid in the Production Org
- Install Conga Grid in the production org.
Refer to the Conga Grid installation instructions. When installing Conga Grid into a production org, the default license type is a 15-day trial for five users. Contact your Conga Grid account representative to activate licenses and to set the seat count appropriately.
- Move configured items from the sandbox to production org.
See the topic Export and Import Conga Grid Settings for instructions. Conga Grid versions 1.49.83 and earlier require you to also export Conga Grid settings and to create a change set for custom actions. We recommend upgrading to the latest version of Conga Grid to avoid this process.
- License a subset of users in the production org.
Select a team of Conga Grid power users to internally test the initial deployment, and assign them licenses as needed. Ensure they have duplicate security settings as defined in the sandbox org.
- Test the production org functionality to ensure it is the same as the sandbox.
Consider loading two separate screens: one for the sandbox instance and another for the production instance. Gather feedback, and adjust accordingly. The team may even consider writing internal documentation that describes key workflows.
- Expand the base of licensed users until all licenses are consumed.
Continue to add users in larger pools. Here are some scenarios that have worked well in the past:
Conga Grid deployment within a department of 50 users
- Select one to five power users.
- Power users train a larger set of 10 to 20 users.
- Power users train the entire department.
- Determine a core team of 1 to 10 cross-departmental power users.
- Power users train a larger set of users within their departments.
- Power users train the entire respective department.
- Host a company-wide training session.
- Timeline for Deployment. The timeline for deployment will vary based on your organization. If you need help determining a timeline for your specific organization, please contact your Conga Grid account representative.
Refer to the Salesforce Development Lifecycle Guide for more information. Conga Grid follows a similar deployment path.