Download page Working with Save Maps.
Working with Save Maps
Use Save Maps to link your environment fields to Excel cells for data that will be saved back to your environment. Save Maps often rely on Display Maps (see Working with Display Maps). You use Save Actions in your app to implement Save Maps.
Saving Data to your Environment
X-Author for Excel supports updates, inserts, upserts, and deletes.
Save Maps can be designed to update records in your environment in three ways:
Records were retrieved from your environment and the data from one or more fields in that record were placed on the worksheet through a Display Map. Using the Add Display Map Fields function in a Save Map, user modifications to any cell can be updated on the record.
- Using the Add Other Fields function to save data from one or more fields that were not retrieved from your environment. It is not recommended to update fields to the environment using this function, but if you do update in this way, you must always include a Record ID in the same row as the fields you are updating.
Using the Add Matrix Map Section function in a Save Map, modifications to matrix map sections can be updated on the record.
Add Matrix Map Section is not supported in Apttus Omni.
New records can be created in three ways:
- When a user adds a new data row using the Add Row menu button.
- When the App automatically adds a new data row using the Add row Action and pastes data into the new row.
- Using a Preloaded Grid (see Creating Preloaded Grids).
Rows can be deleted from Display Map lists by the user clicking the Delete Rows from the environment menu button. To delete one or more records from a List, the Display Delete Row must be checked in User Menus and there must be a Save Map with at least one field in it.
Working with Save Maps
How many Save Maps you use is dependent on app design and how many save options you have for the user at runtime. Remember the following when working with Save Maps:
- There is no limit to the number of Save Maps you can have in an app. Multiple Save Maps allows you to control which fields are updated when the user clicks a menu button associated with a specific save process.
- A Save Map can include fields from any number of objects.
- A Save Map can be used across multiple worksheets (not workbooks).
To create a Save Map for Display Map Fields
- From the X-Author ribbon, click Save Map.
- Click Create. The Save Map panel opens in Excel.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your Save Map. Pick a name that makes it easy to distinguish from your other Save Maps.
Click Add Display Map Fields.
Click on thearrow icon in the upper right-hand corner and choose an option to move or resize the Save Map panel.
- Use the Filter by drop-down to filter the list of fields for a specific Display Map.
- Select the fields to add to your Save Map, and click Apply. Click Select All if you want to choose all Display Map fields.
- Click Save.
- Click Close.
- Click Save App.